Effective Date: January 3, 2022
AppLovin Corporation (“we,” “us,” “our,” or “AppLovin”) is a mobile app growth company that provides application developers with the tools to grow their businesses by automating and optimizing the marketing and monetization of their apps.
Table of Contents
- Specific Provisions for EU Individuals
- Specific Provisions for California Consumers
This section describes the information we collect, use, and share through our Advertising Services.
Information Collection and Use
If you are a consumer who downloads and uses an application which contains the AppLovin SDK or otherwise interacts with the Services, we may collect certain device information, including the following:
- Device make, model, and operating system;
- Device properties related to screen size, orientation, audio, battery, device memory usage, settings, and boot time;
- Device settings related to accessibility features, font size, theme;
- Operating system;
- Name and properties of mobile application through which a consumer interacts with the Services;
- Country, time zone, and locale settings (country and preferred language);
- City- and/or country-level or other coarse geolocation data;
- Network connection type and speed;
- IP Address;
- Internet browser user-agent used to access the Services;
- HTTP header information;
- Advertising IDs (IDFA/GAID/Amazon FOSAID);
- Vendor IDs (IDFV); and
- Advertising and tracking preferences and restrictions.
Advertisers (through the advertiser itself or through a third party on behalf of such advertiser) may share your advertiser ID and IP address.
Using the information we collect, we are able to deliver the Services, improve them, and research and develop new ones.
We may share information we collect or derive with third parties in the following contexts.
- Advertising Partners. We share information with our third-party advertising partners, including advertisers, ad networks, exchanges, and ad optimization and measurement/attribution partners (e.g., mobile measurement partners or “MMPs”) to provide our clients with Advertising Services. This information may be used by such third-party partners to measure how effective ads are, showing advertisements to end users for products and services that are more likely to appeal to them (a practice known as interest-based advertising or behavioral advertising), and to undertake web analytics to analyze traffic and other ad activity to improve the advertising experience.
If you do not want to receive interest-based advertisements, please see the “Manage Your Privacy Choices” section below. If you are located in the European Union, UK, or Switzerland, you may also see the “Specific Provisions for EU Individuals” section below for more options. If you are a resident of California, you may also review the “Specific Provisions for California Consumers” section below for more options.
Please note that the practices of our third-party advertising partners delivering advertisements through our Services are subject to those partners’ own privacy policies.
- Regulatory or Legal Requirements. We may disclose information to governmental regulatory authorities as required by law, including for tax or accounting purposes, in response to their requests for such information or to assist in investigations. We may also disclose personal information to third parties in connection with claims, disputes or litigation, when otherwise required by law or court order.
- Safety and Terms Enforcement. We may disclose information if we determine, in our sole discretion, that its disclosure is necessary to protect the health, safety, or rights of you or any other person, protect against fraud, or enforce our legal rights, including contractual commitments made to us by third parties.
- Business Transfers. We may disclose personal information as part of an organizational business transaction, such as a merger, acquisition, joint venture, financing, or sale of organizational assets and may transfer personal information to a third party as one of the business assets in such a transaction. We may also disclose personal information in the event of insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership.
Manage Your Privacy Choices:
To limit collection of information from mobile devices, including location data, please visit your device’s settings to set the “Limit Ad Track”, “Location Based Services,” or other similar feature on your device. For detailed instructions, see How AppLovin Shows You Ads. You can also make choices about data collection for certain companies by visiting an industry consumer choice platform such as the NAI (https://optout.networkadvertising.org/) or DAA (https://optout.aboutads.info/). To see or manage the data collected by AppLovin from your device, you may download the AppLovin Privacy Management Application from the Apple or Google Play Stores:
You may still receive ads after limiting processing of information for interest-based advertising, but those ads may be less relevant to your interests.
Children’s Online Privacy Protection
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13 except as permitted by U.S. law. For example, we may collect certain types of information (e.g., IDFAs) from apps that are directed toward children for activities that fit within the “support for internal operations” exception from the notice and consent requirements in the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Rule.
Data Security and Retention
We implement reasonable measures to help secure the information we collect through the Services. We retain the data we collect through the Services for up to 2 years. Information is automatically purged from our system if the Services do not receive any updated information for a device in the last 2 years. Note that we will retain information in our systems for as long as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
This section describes the information we collect, use, and share through our Site.
We may collect various types of information through the Site. For example, when you register with AppLovin to use our Services, you may provide us with personal information such as your name, email address, phone number, mailing address, user name, and password. You may also provide us with payment information when you submit or receive a payment, or other information when you complete the online forms available on the Site.
We may use the information we collect or you provide to us through the Site for various purposes, including:
- To communicate with you, for example through newsletters or with other information about our products and services;
- To operate and improve the Site and our Services;
- To customize the Site;
- For analytics and research;
- For marketing purposes; and
- For purposes disclosed at the time of collection.
We may share information collected through the Site for purposes including:
- With your consent;
- For advertising and marketing purposes;
- In response to a subpoena, court order, or other legal process;
- To protect our rights and the rights of others;
- With our affiliates;
- With service providers that help us operate the Site and Services;
- As part of a sale, merger, or acquisition, including at bankruptcy; and
- For purposes disclosed at the time of collection.
Links to Other Websites
You can update the personal information you provide to us by correcting, updating, or deleting the information associated with you via your AppLovin account. To add, modify, remove, or request access to the personal information about you that we hold, please see the “Contact Us” section below.
Cookies and Other Similar Technology
Your Advertising/Marketing Choices
From time to time, third parties will collect information from you via the Site and other non-affiliated websites and mobile applications over time in order to deliver relevant advertising to your browser or device, as well as other browsers or devices associated with you. This type of advertising is called “interest-based advertising.”
You may also limit the collection of information from mobile apps on your device for interest-based advertising us by adjusting the settings on your mobile device. For iOS mobile devices, go to “Settings” from your Device’s home screen; scroll down to “Privacy”; select “Advertising”; and turn on “Limit Ad Tracking.” For Android mobile devices, go to “Google Settings” on your Device; select “Ads”; and check the box labeled “Opt Out of Interest-Based Ads.”
Please note that if you exercise choice, you may still receive ads, but those ads may be less relevant to your interests. Additionally, data may still be collected from your browser or device for purposes other than interest-based advertising. If you erase your cookies, reset your device identifier, or use different browsers or devices, you may need to make your choices again.
If you no longer wish to receive marketing-related emails from us on a going-forward basis, you may opt out of receiving these emails by clicking “Unsubscribe” at the bottom of any marketing email you receive from us.
Our site is not intended for use by Children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13 through the Site except as permitted by US law.
Data Security and Retention
We have implemented reasonable physical, technical, and administrative security measures for the Site to help protect information we collect and store.
Cookies set on the applovin.com domain are set to expire a maximum of 90 days after the action which created the cookie.
We retain other information such as customer contact and payment information in our systems for as long as necessary as permitted by law to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Specific Provisions for EU Individuals
If you are located in the European Union, Switzerland, or the United Kingdom, the following provisions apply to you.
Privacy Shield Framework
In light of the judgment of the Court of Justice of the European Union in Case C-311/18 and the similar announcement from the Swiss Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner, we do not rely on the EU-U.S. or Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework as a legal basis for transfers of personal data under the General Data Protection Regulation. However, we continue to adhere to these principles and, where appropriate, we rely on EU Standard Contractual Clauses and other safeguards to enable such transfers.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, AppLovin has certified its compliance with the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework and the Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework. AppLovin is committed to subjecting all personal data received from European Union (EU) member countries, the United Kingdom, and Switzerland, respectively, in reliance on each Privacy Shield Framework, to the Framework’s applicable Principles. To learn more about the Privacy Shield Framework visit the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Privacy Shield List, available at: https://www.privacyshield.gov/list.
AppLovin is responsible for the processing of personal data it receives, under each Privacy Shield Framework, and subsequently transfers to a third party acting as an agent on its behalf. AppLovin complies with the Privacy Shield Principles for all onward transfers of personal data from the EU, the United Kingdom, and Switzerland, including the onward transfer liability provisions.
With respect to personal data received or transferred pursuant to the Privacy Shield Framework, AppLovin is subject to the regulatory enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. In certain situations, AppLovin may be required to disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
Under certain conditions, more fully described on the Privacy Shield website here: https://www.privacyshield.gov/article?id=How-to-Submit-a-Complaint, you may invoke binding arbitration when other dispute resolution procedures have been exhausted.
In compliance with the Privacy Shield Principles, AppLovin commits to resolve complaints about our collection or use of your personal information. EU and Swiss individuals with inquiries or complaints regarding our Privacy Shield policy should first contact AppLovin at the address/email above. AppLovin has further committed to refer unresolved Privacy Shield complaints to an alternative dispute resolution provider.
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concerns that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third-party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.
Lawful Basis for Processing
On certain occasions, we process your personal data when it is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party, such as to provide services to you. We may also process your personal data to respond to your inquiries concerning our products and services.
On other occasions, we process your personal data where required by law. We may also process your personal data if necessary to protect your interests or the interests of a third party.
Additionally, we process your personal data when necessary to do so for fraud prevention, improving our network and services, and marketing our services to advertisers and publishers, where these interests are not overridden by your data protection rights.
If the processing of personal data is necessary and there is no other lawful basis for such processing, we will generally ensure that consent has been obtained from you. You have the right to withdraw your consent to processing of personal data at any time.
For questions about data processing, please contact our Data Protection Officer. Visit the “Contact” section below for contact information.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 16 through the Advertising Services and the Site.
If you are an individual in the EU, you are able:
- To request access to the personal data we hold about you;
- To request that we rectify or erase your personal data;
- To request that we restrict or block the processing of your personal data;
- Under certain circumstances, to receive personal data about you that we store and transmit to another without hindrance from us, including requesting that we provide your personal data directly to another, i.e., a right to data portability; and
- Where we previously obtained your consent, to withdraw consent to processing your personal data.
To exercise these rights, please contact our data protection officer. See the “Contact Us” section below. Please be aware that we may be unable to afford these rights to you under certain circumstances, such as if we are legally prevented from doing so.
Additionally, you have the right to lodge a complaint against us. To do so, contact the supervisory authority in your country of residence.
[END OF EU SPECIFIC PROVISIONS]
Specific Provisions for California Consumers
These additional provisions for California consumers apply only to individuals who reside in California. The California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (the “CCPA”) provides additional rights to know, delete, and opt out, and requires “businesses” collecting or disclosing personal information to provide notice and a means to exercise those rights. We collect and disclose your personal information for business and commercial purposes consistent with the sections above.
If you are a resident of California, you are able:
- To request information about the personal information we hold about you (limited to two requests per consumer in a 12-month period);
- To request that we delete the personal information we hold about you; and
- To opt-out of future “sales” of your personal information
- A “sale” is defined under the CCPA as a disclosure of personal information to third parties for monetary or “other valuable consideration.”
To exercise these rights, you have the following options:
• For Users of Apps Containing the AppLovin SDK. To see or manage the data collected by AppLovin from your device via apps that incorporate the AppLovin SDK, you may download the AppLovin Privacy Management Application from the Apple or Google Play Stores:
Submitting a request for deletion of your personal information will also opt you out of “sales,” provided that you have granted us access to your advertising identifier. Note that you may still receive ads after submitting such requests but those ads may be less relevant to your interests.
• For Our Website Visitors. To opt-out of the automated collection of your personal information by certain cookies or other data collection technologies, you may follow the steps outlined above in the “Cookies and Other Similar Technology” and “Your Advertising/Marketing Choices” sections. To access or manage information you have manually submitted to us, please contact our data protection officer using the information in the “Contact Us” section below.
• For Our Customers and Business Contacts. Please contact our data protection officer using the information in the “Contact Us” section below. Please provide enough information about you and your request for our data protection officer to be able to identify your information in our records.
You do not need to create an account with us to exercise your rights. However, as permitted under the CCPA, we may need to verify your identity prior to fulfilling your request by asking you to provide personal information to match the information we have on file. We may be unable to fulfill certain requests for deletion where we are unable to verify your identity, or where an exception to such right applies, such as when the information is necessary for us or our service providers to complete the transaction with you, detect security incidents or fraud, fixing errors, exercise free speech or another right provided by law, comply with legal obligations, or other internal and lawful uses.
Please note that requesting to exercise your rights through us will not bear on the personal information processed about you by our third-party partners and customers, including the publishers that have the AppLovin SDK embedded in their apps. If you wish to exercise your rights with respect to these third parties, please submit a request with each party directly.
You also have the right not to be discriminated against for exercising any of the rights listed above. In certain circumstances, you are permitted to use an authorized agent to submit requests on your behalf where (i) you provide sufficient evidence to show that the requestor is an authorized agent with written permission to act on your behalf and (ii) you successfully verify your own identity with us.
[END OF CALIFORNIA SPECIFIC PROVISIONS]
Data Protection Officer
1100 Page Mill Road
Palo Alto, CA 94304
You can also contact us via email at [email protected].
Please be sure to include your name, address, and email address in any correspondence to us so that we can respond to your inquiry in a timely manner.
If you have a customer care issue, please use: [email protected].