Effective Date: February 23, 2024
AppLovin Corporation (“we,” “us,” “our,” or “AppLovin”) operates a suite of tools for app developers and other businesses to automate and optimize the marketing and monetization of their platforms, products, or services by enabling the placement of different types of advertisements on digital properties including mobile apps, websites, and connected TV devices (collectively, the “Advertising Services” or “Services”). As explained below, consumers interact with us in a few ways, primarily through advertisements served by AppLovin on behalf of advertisers.
Our Advertising Services
This section describes the information we collect, use, and share through our Advertising Services.
General Information Collection and Use
If you are a consumer who downloads and uses an application which contains the AppLovin SDK or otherwise interacts with the Services through advertisements served within a digital property, we may collect certain information, including the following:
Device, App, and Browser Data
- Device make, model, and operating system;
- Device properties related to screen size, orientation, audio, battery, device memory usage, settings, and boot time;
- Device settings related to accessibility features, font size, and theme;
- Operating system;
- Name and properties of mobile application through which a consumer interacts with the Services;
- Country, time zone, and locale settings (country and preferred language);
- City- and/or country-level or other coarse geolocation data;
- Network connection type and speed;
- IP Address;
- Internet browser user-agent used to access the Services;
- HTTP header information;
- Advertising IDs (IDFA/GAID/Amazon FOSAID);
- Vendor IDs (IDFV);
- App Set IDs; and
- Advertising and tracking preferences and restrictions.
Advertisers (through the advertiser itself or through a third party service provider on behalf of such advertiser) may also share transactional or “event” data related to a consumer’s interaction with an application, such as information about the actions taken in an application like purchases or application installations.
Information Collection and Use Specific to e-Commerce Ads Only
If you are a consumer who interacts with the Services through an e-commerce platform or a merchant website, we may collect certain additional information (that you provided to the e-commerce platform or merchant, through a third party’s API, our SDK, pixel, or other similar technologies), including the following:
- Email addresses;
- Phone numbers;
- Mailing addresses; and
Shopping and Browsing Data and Events
- Shopping browsing behavior (e.g., views) and search history;
- Records of products purchased or considered (e.g., added to cart, check out);
- Purchasing histories;
- Tendencies or preferences; and
- Information regarding user interactions with advertising partners and their merchant partners’ sites and advertisements.
How We Collect Your Information
This information may be collected automatically across mobile apps and devices or received from third-parties across different technologies over time. We may also combine information we collect with other information we derive through analytical techniques, and we will use that combined information to offer the Services.
How We Use Your Information
We generally use the information we collect to:
- Deliver the Services, maintain, and improve them, including our AI-powered advertising technology, and research and develop new ones;
- Promote safety, security, and integrity of Services;
- Provide measurement, analytics, and reporting; and
- Comply with legal and regulatory obligations.
We use AI-powered advertising technology (sometimes referred to as “automated decision-making”) to help us improve our advertising products and Services and serve ads that are relevant and interesting to you. We use it in ways that do not produce legal or similarly significant effects on you (for example, by reordering how advertisements might appear when you visit a digital property such as a mobile app or a website).
We may share information we collect or derive with third parties in the following contexts:
- Advertising Partners. We share information with our third-party advertising partners, including advertisers, ad networks, exchanges, demand side platforms, merchants, other advertising partners (who aggregate their own demand sources), and ad optimization and measurement/attribution partners (e.g., mobile measurement partners or “MMPs”) to provide our clients with Advertising Services. This information may be used by such third-party partners to measure how effective ads are, show advertisements to end users for products and services that are more likely to appeal to them (a practice known as interest-based advertising or behavioral advertising), and to undertake web analytics to analyze traffic and other ad activity to improve the advertising experience.
Unless otherwise noted in our partner list, each AppLovin advertising partner is an independent controller of your data. You can view a list of AppLovin advertising partners with whom we share your data here, current as of the date listed at the top of that page.
If you do not want to receive interest-based advertisements, please see the “Manage Your Privacy Choices” section below. If you are located in the European Union, UK, or Switzerland, you may also see the “Additional Provisions for EU/UK Individuals” section below for more options. If you are an individual resident of the U.S. states that have enacted comprehensive consumer privacy laws, you may also review the “U.S. Multistate Privacy Notice” section below for more options.
Please note that the practices of our third-party advertising partners delivering advertisements through our Services are subject to those partners’ own privacy policies.
- Regulatory or Legal Requirements. We may disclose information to governmental regulatory authorities as required by law, including for tax or accounting purposes, in response to their requests for such information or to assist in investigations. We may also disclose personal information to third parties in connection with claims, disputes, or litigation, when otherwise required by law or court order.
- Safety and Terms Enforcement. We may disclose information if we determine, in our sole discretion, that its disclosure is necessary to protect the health, safety, or rights of you or any other person, protect against fraud, or enforce our legal rights, including contractual commitments made to us by third parties.
- Business Transfers. We may disclose personal information as part of an organizational business transaction, such as a merger, acquisition, joint venture, financing, or sale of organizational assets and may transfer personal information to a third party as one of the business assets in such a transaction. We may also disclose personal information in the event of insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership.
Manage Your Privacy Choices:
To limit collection of information from mobile devices, including location data, please visit your device’s settings to set the “Limit Ad Track”, “Location Based Services,” or other similar feature on your device. Additionally, you may opt-out of interest-based advertising within ads served by AppLovin. For detailed instructions, see How AppLovin Shows You Ads. You can also make choices about data collection for certain companies by visiting an industry consumer choice platform such as the NAI (https://optout.networkadvertising.org/) or DAA (https://optout.aboutads.info/). You may still receive ads after limiting processing of information for interest-based advertising, but those ads may be less relevant to your interests.
To see or manage the data collected by AppLovin from your device, you may download the AppLovin Privacy Management Application from the Apple or Google Play Stores:
By navigating through the tabs in the AppLovin Privacy Management Application, you can erase the personal information that AppLovin may have collected about you or request a copy of that personal information.
Children’s Online Privacy Protection
We do not knowingly collect personal information from, or serve advertisements to, children as defined and required by applicable laws. If you believe we have served an advertisement to a child or might have any personal information from or about a child, or if you believe a mobile application may be exclusively designed for, directed to, or pass personal information knowingly from, children, please contact us via email at [email protected].
We may collect certain types of information (e.g., IDFV, publisher age-related flags) from general audience apps for activities that fit within the “support for internal operations” exception from the notice and consent requirements in the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Rule.
Data Security and Retention
We implement reasonable measures to help secure the information we collect through the Services. We retain the data we collect through the Services for up to 2 years. Information is automatically purged from our system if the Services do not receive any updated information for a device in the last 2 years. Note that we will retain information in our systems for as long as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
[END OF ADVERTISING SERVICES-SPECIFIC PROVISIONS]
This section describes the information we collect, use, and share through our Website.
Cookies and Other Similar Technology
We partner with Google Analytics to learn more about how you use our Website. For more information about how Google Analytics works you can visit here. To opt-out of Google Analytics, you can visit here and follow the instructions.
Additional Information Collection for Business Account Owners
When you register with AppLovin to use our Services, you may provide us with personal information such as your name, email address, phone number, mailing address, user name, and password. You may also provide us with payment information when you submit or receive a payment, or other information when you complete the online forms available on the Website. We may also acquire information from other trusted sources to update or supplement the information that you voluntarily provide to us or that we collect automatically.
How We Use Your Information
We may use the information we collect or you provide to us through the Website for various purposes, including:
- To communicate with you, for example through newsletters or with other information about our products and services;
- To operate and improve the Website and our Services;
- To customize the Website;
- For analytics and research;
- For marketing purposes; and
- For purposes disclosed at the time of collection.
We may share information we collect through the Website in the following contexts:
- With your consent;
- For advertising and marketing purposes;
- In response to a subpoena, court order, or other legal process;
- To protect our rights and the rights of others;
- With our affiliates;
- With service providers that help us operate the Website and Services;
- As part of a sale, merger, or acquisition, including at bankruptcy; and
- For purposes disclosed at the time of collection.
Links to Other Websites
You can update the personal information you provide to us by correcting, updating, or deleting the information associated with you via your AppLovin account. To add, modify, remove, or request access to the personal information about you that we hold, please see the “Contact Us” section below.
Your Marketing Choices
If you no longer wish to receive marketing-related emails from us on a going-forward basis, you may opt out of receiving these emails by clicking “Unsubscribe” at the bottom of any marketing email you receive from us or by emailing us at [email protected].
Our Website is not intended for use by children as defined and required by applicable law. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children through the Website. If you believe we might have any personal information from or about a child, please contact us via email at [email protected].
Data Security and Retention
We have implemented reasonable physical, technical, and administrative security measures for the Website to help protect information we collect and store.
For detailed information regarding retention associated with cookies on the applovin.com domain, please click “Cookie Settings” in our Website footer to learn more.
We retain other information such as customer contact and payment information in our systems for as long as necessary as permitted by law to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
[END OF WEBSITE-SPECIFIC PROVISIONS]
Additional Provisions for EU/UK Individuals
If you are located in the European Union, Switzerland, or the United Kingdom, the following additional provisions apply to you.
Data Privacy Framework
AppLovin complies with the EU-U.S Data Privacy Framework (EU-U.S. DPF), the UK Extension to the EU-U.S. DPF, and the Swiss-U.S. Data Privacy Framework (Swiss-U.S. DPF) as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce.
AppLovin has certified to the U.S. Department of Commerce that it adheres to the EU-U.S. Data Privacy Framework Principles (EU-U.S. DPF Principles) with regard to the processing of personal data received from the European Union in reliance on the EU-U.S. DPF and from the United Kingdom (and Gibraltar) under the UK Extension to the EU-U.S. DPF. AppLovin has certified to the U.S. Department of Commerce that it adheres to the Swiss-U.S. Data Privacy Framework Principles (Swiss-U.S. DPF Principles) with regard to the processing of personal data received from Switzerland in reliance on the Swiss-U.S. DPF. AppLovin is committed to subjecting all personal data received from the Data Privacy Framework, to the Framework’s applicable Principles. To learn more about the Data Privacy Framework, visit the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Data Privacy Framework List, available at: https://www.dataprivacyframework.gov/.
AppLovin is responsible for the processing of personal data it receives under each Data Privacy Framework and subsequently transfers to a third party acting as an agent on its behalf. AppLovin complies with the Data Privacy Framework Principles for all onward transfers of personal data from the EU, the United Kingdom, and Switzerland, including the onward transfer liability provisions.
With respect to personal data received or transferred pursuant to the Data Privacy Framework, AppLovin is subject to the regulatory enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. In certain situations, AppLovin may be required to disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
In compliance with the EU-U.S. DPF, the UK Extension to the EU-U.S. DPF, and the Swiss-U.S. DPF, AppLovin commits to refer unresolved complaints concerning our handling of personal data received in reliance on the EU-U.S. DPF, the UK Extension to the EU-U.S. DPF, and the Swiss-U.S. DPF to TRUSTe, an alternative dispute resolution provider based in the United States. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your DPF Principles-related complaint from us, or if we have not addressed your DPF Principles-related complaint to your satisfaction, please visit https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request for more information or to file a complaint. These dispute resolution services are provided at no cost to you.
For complaints regarding DPF compliance not resolved by any of the other DPF mechanisms, you have the possibility, under certain conditions, to invoke binding arbitration. Further information can be found on the official DPF website.
Lawful Basis for Processing
On certain occasions, we process your personal data when it is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party, such as to provide services to you. We may also process your personal data to respond to your inquiries concerning our products and services.
On other occasions, we process your personal data where required by law. We may also process your personal data if necessary to protect your interests or the interests of a third party.
Additionally, we process your personal data when necessary to do so for fraud prevention, improving our network and services, and marketing our services to advertisers and publishers, where these interests are not overridden by your data protection rights.
If the processing of your personal data is necessary, we will generally ensure that consent has been obtained from you if there is no other lawful basis for such processing. You have the right to withdraw your consent to processing of personal data at any time.
For questions about data processing, please contact our Data Protection Officer. Visit the “Contact” section below for contact information.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from, or serve advertising to, children under the age of 16 through the Advertising Services and the Website. If you believe we have served an advertisement to a child or might have any personal information from or about a child, or if you believe a mobile application may be exclusively designed for, directed to, or pass personal information knowingly from, children, please contact us via email at [email protected].
If you are an individual in the EU or UK, you are able:
- To request access to the personal data we hold about you;
- To request that we rectify or erase your personal data;
- To request that we restrict or block the processing of your personal data;
- Under certain circumstances, to receive personal data about you that we store and transmit to another without hindrance from us, including requesting that we provide your personal data directly to another, i.e., a right to data portability; and
- Where we previously obtained your consent, to withdraw consent to processing your personal data.
To exercise these rights, please contact us at the email address set forth in the “Contact Us” section below. Our Data Protection Officer can also be reached at this email address. Please be aware that we may be unable to afford these rights to you under certain circumstances, such as if we are legally prevented from doing so.
In certain circumstances, you may appoint an authorized agent to exercise any rights that you may have on your behalf. If you choose to exercise any rights through an authorized agent, you will need to verify your identity directly with us before we can process any requests. In addition, we will need written documentation demonstrating the authorized agent’s authority to act on your behalf.
Additionally, you have the right to lodge a complaint against us. To do so, contact the supervisory authority in your country of residence.
EU and UK Privacy Representatives
We have appointed Prighter Group as our privacy representatives in the EU and UK. You can contact us through our privacy representatives at the following addresses:
For residents of the EU:
PrighterGDPR-Rep by Maetzler Rechtsanwalts GmbH & Co KG
c/o AppLovin Corporation
For residents of the UK:
PrighterUK-Rep by Prighter Ltd.
c/o AppLovin Corporation
20 Mortlake Mortlake High Street
London, SW14 8JN
Additional information regarding our privacy representatives can be found at the following link: https://prighter.com/q/19826057144.
[END OF EU/UK SPECIFIC PROVISIONS]
U.S. Multistate Privacy Notice
Additional provisions for individual residents of the U.S. states that have enacted comprehensive consumer privacy laws are included in our U.S. Multistate Privacy Notice, which explains how those residents may exercise their privacy rights.
Data Protection Officer
1100 Page Mill Road
Palo Alto, CA 94304
You can also contact us or our Data Protection Officer via email at [email protected].
Please be sure to include your relevant account information in any correspondence to us. This will help ensure that we can respond to your inquiry in a timely manner.
If you have a customer care issue, please visit AppLovin Support.